Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Kibbutz

So I've offically been living with the Israelis for less than a week and it takes a bit of getting used to, they have been pretty good about trying to speak english when I'm around so that I can be part of a conversation. I have to say though I woke up this morning to an Alanis Morisette song blaring in hebrew. A bit about my roommates, downstairs it's just me and Itzic, who everyone calls Izzy, he told me to call him Easy because anything I need just ask him and he get it--EASY! He's always saying easy..it's funny the other day I asked him if he had a couple of extra hangers and he goes and gets some from his room and when he hands them to me he says, "See--EASY!" Also Easy found a bicycle pump for me so that I could inflate the balance ball I bought. He'd never seen one before so I had to explain what it's use was and demonstrate for him..then he says how much money you think people pay for this thing, and I said well I paid $12 and he shakes his head..maybe I could sell these things--he's always looking for business opportunities and he even told me, "people say we jews are always trying to make money but it's true it's all I can think about day and night, making money..it's my life". Him and my landlord Tomal have been friends since they were little and are partners in selling Dead Sea Skin products. They hire Isralei backpackers to sell them in malls here. Right now there are 4 such backpackers that live upstairs, all of them just out of the Isralei army and travelling. All they do is sell skin products and get stoned..which is alright I suppose when you've spent the last 3 years getting rocks thrown at you and shot at.

No comments: