Sunday, February 27, 2005

First Day of School

So today was my first day of school as an international student. I'm actually getting excited about my classes even though I have just now changed around my entire schedule. It was necessary b/c one of my classes was Friday from 6-9pm which as we all know is unacceptable. So now I've changed it so that I just have class Mon.-Wed. So there are some differences between going to school here and in the states the most obvious which is the grading system. Thank goodness the professor in my first class was kind enough to explain it to us. They go on a 7 point GPA system here so 7.0 is HD (High Distinction), 6.0 D (Distinction), 5.0 C (Credit) 4.0 P (Pass) and 3.0 LP (Low Pass) and you can't get more than like 3 LPs in order to graduate. It's all very confusing considering that having a 4.0 GPA here means simply that you passed. Also at the beginning of class we all had to go up and say our names and where we were from and what our first degree is in and our work background. It was kinda intimidating at first but well everyone in there I'd say is between 25-28 so have roughly the same amount of experience. The crazy thing was though that I am the only American in that particular class and there are people from 16 different countries in this particular class, mostly from Europe (Germany, Sweden, Norway, France) then you have some from Asia (Thailand, China, Japan) then India, Sri Lanka and about 5 or 6 Aussies then me the lone American, should make for an interesting class and also will be interesting to work in groups with people that are from so many different places (if not a bit maddening!) It definetly looks like I'll have my work cut out for me though judging from the unit outlines my classes are no joke and I'll be writing loads of papers and doing lots of presentations, at least I have the advantage of english being my first language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, grrrl! I'm envious and very, very happy for you!

xo
Randy