Thursday, April 28, 2005

Eviction and the Mining Games

This week has been super busy for me not only b/c of the amount of assignments I have due but b/c I got an eviction notice on Wed. and then freaked out and had to figure out what the hell I was gonna do about a roof over my head. I managed to work things out with the new owners of my house and so will be staying for about 6 more weeks thank goodness b/c yesterday every place I had called had already rented out their rooms!! So this weekend is Labour Day weekend here and unfortunelty I'm not able to go anywhere b/c I have a huge presentation on Tuesday and a paper due. I was meant to just study all weekend but well earlier today I got a call from one of my roommates begging me to be on his team for the International Mining Games. Apparently they have to have one girl on their team and being that it's all mining engineering students girls are few and far between. Here is what I've apparently agreed to participate in tonight:
Delegate Social Evening - Friday 29 April 2005Hosted by: UQ Mining and Metallurgy AssociationTo start the mining games this traditional evening includes the boat races where bonus points for the mining games will be given for team attendance. The races will consist of one "crew" of five people per team competing in the mining games, with a minimum of one female per crew. Meet and compete against your new friends in a relaxed social atmosphere. (Venue TBA)
Cost:
Races will be paid for, all other costs at the expense of the individual
Apparently this game involves lots of beer!
Also these are some of the events:
Team Events
The list below is to be used as a guide only for the type of events to be held at the mining games. The events chosen to be hosted at the University of Qld. Mining Games is at the discretion of the Mining Games committee who's decision is final. A full list of events and rules will provided once Mining Games registration is complete or will be available in due course via The AusIMM website.
Rock Drill
Boulder Drilling
Burn Cut Drilling
Crushing
SG Determination
Mass Balancing Exercise
Hand Mucking
Timber Settling
Rail Settling
Face Tie In
Slot Tie In
Gold Panning Ventilation
Surveying
Sounds like I will be needing a hard hat..I promise to have lots of stories, also I'm sure it's not safe for one to be doing rock drilling the next morning after drinking ungodly amounts of beer in some sort of boat race!! The hand mucking event sounds interesting though I must say.

No comments: